Sunday, September 18, 2016

A Week at the Beach

We spent last we at the beach. The ENTIRE week! It was so much fun and so exhausting. I reminded Tim that just because we were at the beach and just because we were on "vacation" didn't meant that we still didn't have to "work". Keeping three little kids happy in the sun and the sand and sometimes the wind and the chill (yes we were chili, didn't think that was possible) can be pretty exhausting. But, it was so much fun!! The kids had a blast with cousins. And we had lots of fun with all my family. This was our 6th year doing this and we have established some pretty great traditions. We all look forward to it all year. It's kind of like Christmas. This year I made a goal for myself to use my SLR more and I think I did a pretty good job of it. And I like to think you can tell in the quality of the photos. Picture Overload is about to begin...

This is a pretty epic picture. Please note Molly slumping over on the end!


We think we're pretty hilarious

These two were good little buddies this trip. It's so great to have cousins close in age!

Sunday morning we went to church at the PB ward. Tim managed to squeeze most of us in a picture. The fact that all of my family members share the same faith and belief system is not lost on me. I am so so so grateful to their examples and commitment to our faith.

These two boys. I just love them and they just make me crazy!! But seriously, they are just so cute!

We did a family photo shoot after church. It was overcast which made for some fun lighting and no harsh shadows. The reflection made it hard to not squint your eyes though.

We tried out some fun poses!

Piper decided that she wanted to be a part of the Layton family and Whitney was clearly confused by it.

Oliver's face in this picture.... it's pretty much impossible to get a sweet smile out of all of them at the same time.


Meanwhile Peter decided he needed to kiss Molly RIGHT NOW!! He sure does love her.

Running with grandma and grandpa on the beach.
My sweet little family. My hair kept getting in Oliver's face so I had to really tuck it in and Molly was not happy.

Molly's hair loves the humidity and moist ocean air. Look at the those curls!

Then Tim had to go and do this....the worst comparison.
I think this is one of my favorite pictures from the trip. I love these two!

Peter LOVED playing in the sand. He really like getting the wetter sand. He called it "sticky splat".

Tim brought a fun kite to fly. 

Whit and Chris brought a few small kites and Cody and Chris tied all of the strings together on one kite. They were obviously pretty pleased with themselves. I'm so glad I was able to capture their satisfaction, hahaha!

Supervising the fun.

Peter was super happy to get drug on the boogie board until it rolled over in the water. Then he refused to touch the ocean the rest of the week. I can't say that I blame him. The ocean is a pretty intimidating thing.

This sweet girl!! She's just so great!

They refused to look at the camera, but that little stringy seaweed is pretty fascinating.

We had so much fun finding sand-dollars

Molly loves her aunt Whitney...

And her grandpa!

Selfie at sunset.

Bundled up snug with dad.

We got to see our friends the Montgomery's. We love these guys a lot!! It's always so great to catch up with them.

I mean....

Peter had no trouble entertaining himself in the beach house. Here he has handcuffed himself to his "baby's" head.

We met our friend Noel for breakfast at Caroline's cafe. It was so fun to catch up with her. She's so impressive. She is halfway through a cardiology fellowship. AMAZING!!!

We went to Old Town and toured the Mormon Battalion. The kids have the tour pretty much memorized at this point which I love.

Then of course all the cousin's visit Cousin's candy shop. I swear you would think these jokers never get candy. They seriously anticipate going here almost more than being in San Diego itself. Oh children and candy. I guess I can kind of relate.

My little beach baby!

She was totally fine getting her toes in the water.

Logan joined us on Tuesday night. We LOVE having him there!!

Eating snacks on the beach is another highlight for the kids. So funny. I love that both kids are looking at Whitney and I.

Digging holes with Uncle Logan.

Peter was super brave and held a crab.

These three were laughing at Oliver who was being super annoying and jumping in front of the camera almost every time I took a picture. They thought it was funny, I wanted to flick him.

These two are the greatest! One thing this picture will forever remind me of is how much my mom hates seaweed. In almost every picture she says "but if you could just not get the seaweed". If only mom :)

We all became pretty obsessed with smash-ball this trip and we learned that Elle is really good at it. It was a lot of fun!

Digging a volcano with Oliver.

Searching for sand dollars at low tide.

We went to Bellmont Park on afternoon. Which is pretty much the worst, but the kids love it so we do it an it's pretty entertaining. The first ride was the Crazy Submarine. This year we didn't have to stop mid-ride to let anyone off (Oliver and Max last year).

Oliver did Crazy Carz with Rhett and Crew.

And then there were this hilarious ride that appears all mellow until it whips the kids around on the corners making them and on-lookers laugh

It's pretty great to watch.

It was Peter's first year going on these and he had that smile....

on every. single. turn!

Elle and Chris rode the scary hurl a whirl ride (not quite sure what its called). Neither threw up after which was impressive.

Peter saw this mask hanging and decided he needed to put his face in it.

And we finished off Bellmont Park with the carousel. 

Oliver opted to ride the tiger that does not go up and down. Safety first!!

It was so nice to have Tim with us all week. And so nice to share Molly with another adult :)

One of the last nights we did a weenie roast on the beach.

Peter helped my dad light the fire.

We had fun watching the kids find all sorts of trash on that side of the beach....so GROSS

My friend Maren and her family joined us. I love that Molly and August are making eyes at each other.

Roasting Hot Dogs.

Peter sharing treats with Grandpa.

Grandma snuggling Molly. All of my family was so good at holding Molly so Tim and I could play with the boys and take pictures and play smash ball. They are all pretty great.

Peter entertained himself for quite sometime with this bucket of water. No joke! He just stuck his cute head in it and was talking and blowing bubbles. I love watching him entertain himself.

He put the leash on his ankle and pretended to surf. So cute!!

Last beach day

Girl selfie!

Friday night at the Baked Bear.

And the last sunset. Peter and Grandpa.

Such a good week!!! I have done 4 loads of laundry and have two that are waiting to be folded. I have swept up a ton of sand and banged sand out of bags and shoes. The van has been washed and de-sanded. And we are going to do are best to put a smile on our faces and get back to the Monday grind, which lets be honest, really isn't that bad.
Life is good!

1 comment: