Monday, February 3, 2014

Hyperlactation

Who says complaining won't get you anywhere?? Maybe it wasn't complaining, it was more like sharing my issues with a friend. I was talking to one of my friends on Friday afternoon and asking her if she thought is was normal (WARNING: This may be TMI, read with caution) to have super painful let down and to be choking your child every time you nurse him and if he tries to take a break you end up squirting not only his face but the couch and everything around him. Is that normal? I had a pretty similar experience with Oliver which is why I pumped and bottled fed him for 3-4 months. So, I thought it was normal. She was pretty sure it wasn't and it turns out it's not. There is something called Hyperlactation where you overproduce milk and it can create a plethora of issues including colic symptoms in your baby and it is often misdiagnosed as acid reflux. And with that, I think I may have discovered another contributor to poor Peter's fussiness. It turns out the rule of supply and demand with nursing doesn't apply to me (it doesn't take much demand for me to have too much supply). So, I am going to take a totally different approach now and see if I can keep from drowning my poor little Peter when I feed him and prevent all the tummy upset that has been going on. Let's hope this works!!

Meanwhile......we've have been enjoying having Tim around more (me especially). I am hosting play school this month which means we get to make awesome valentines crafts. And I am still putting on my "I can do this" pants and venturing out with both boys.

The funny thing is, in a few years I am sure that I am going to remember these times and think "remember how easy it was when I only had two kids (even if one of them was fussy)." Life is kind of funny that way.

Love this boy way too much, and when I go peek at him when he's sleeping, I just want to pick him up and squish him.

My Mom did this to both of my boys! I actually find it pretty funny! Do they look like brothers or is it just me? 

Just snoozing with one arm out of the swaddle

Can NOT get enough of his smiles

The weather here last week was unbelievable and so was Tim's schedule.

They are all mine!

Kissy faces and Kissy Fish at play school

Oliver is enjoying the Children's Museum more and more. It's so fun to watch his little imagination just take off.

 I really hope not, but we may have a future biker on our hands. Don't worry we talk about helmets A LOT around our house. It happens when Dad works in the ER.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you figured something out. I'm anxious to hear about the new approach, and hope to the heavens it works!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can so relate on the sleep deprivation thing. Life is so hard to deal with when you are exhausted and put a fussy baby on top of it - ouch. Hopefully your new approach helps in that department. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is so interesting to read. I had the SAME thing happen with me and Olive. She was so fussy and colicky for the first 4 months, and would grunt all the time with such a gassy stomach. Every time I nursed her she would choke and my let down was sometimes painful and my boobs would get rock hard every time. I didn't know any different so I thought it was normal. I really REALLY hope that your new approach works. In just a few sweet months, this will all be water under the bridge.

    ReplyDelete