Saturday, April 26, 2014

Big Boy Bed for Oliver

I have been dragging my feet on a few things over here. Two of the main ones have been potty training (Oliver's dragging his feet too though so it's not entirely my fault) and getting Oliver a "big boy bed". Oliver never once climbed out of his crib or even attempted to. This is one of the reasons why we let him sleep in it for so long. That and I was not interested in having my two year old rome the house while I was getting up with my newborn, it felt nice to have him caged up in his crib. Oliver loved his crib. We would talk to him about giving it to Peter and getting him a big boy bed and he was not excited about the prospect. Well, last week the time came and we finally convinced Oliver that a big boy bed was cool. And I decided that maybe it would be nice if he could get himself out of bed in the morning. So we took advantage of Tim's time off this past week and we made the switch. We opted for a twin bed after reading some different opinions online about toddler beds vs twin beds. 5 days in and I think the twin is the way to go.

Oliver was thrilled! He loved jumping on the bed. He loved the pirate sheets that we got him (I was so excited to find pirate sheets that were not totally obnoxious). And I like to think that he loved that I can lay on his bed with him and read him stories or tickle his back or just give him snuggles. Here's a summary of how things went down.

Night 1: Was so excited couldn't fall asleep. Came out of his room once. Got out of bed a couple times. Took about 45 minutes to fall asleep. Fell out of bed once during the night.

Night 2: Fell asleep much faster. Was found on the floor before I went to bed.

Night 3: We wised up and borrowed a safety bar from my sis-in-law. Had a total melt-down  (probably from 6 consecutive days of not napping) around 6:30 and was fast asleep by 6:45 pm. The sun was still out. He slept pretty hard the entire night and didn't fall out.

Night 4: Went to bed without any hesitation. Stayed in bed. He's been pretty wiped out from not getting in any naps.

So, it looks like he may be done with naps....... : /   I think I can live with that. I still have him spend an hour of quiet time on his bed with some toys everyday. Maybe he'll get used to the bed and start napping again (a girl can dream). The only nice thing about this is that he's been going to bed pretty easy at night because he's so pooped. There's always a silver lining to these things.


Last time in his crib, sad day. He does look awfully big in it.

In case you were wondering how much weight a crib can hold.....it's a lot. He didn't really like it when I did this. Probably because it's so crowded in there.

First night in his bed. He is just the sweetest! (when he's sleeping ;)

Railing up! This is the night he fell asleep before the sun went down. He was SO so tired and so sad.


While we are talking about updates, I have include that Peter is now in the crib that Tim touched up with paint (Oliver used it as a chew toy at 10 months) and it looks like new. The nursery is finally complete only 6 months after Peter was born. I'll have to post pictures of the completed room. Peter has also been experiencing some time in the bouncer which he seems to be ok with and the high chair which he is actually pretty happy with. The high chair is a big deal for me, because now I can make dinner without leaving him laying on the ground crying or sitting in his bumbo crying or in the swing crying.....have I mentioned that Peter is very opinionated about what he is or isn't doing?

He's actually already pretty good at jumping which is fun to watch.

We splurged and got a new high chair. I'm pretty happy with it. Now, if I could just figure out what I am going to feed him......


No comments:

Post a Comment