When I was a sophomore in high school my hair was "long". And a boy "accidentally" (I'm on a weird quotations kick, please forgive me) threw gum in my hair. Apparently he was aiming for the trash can and I ran right in front of the trash can..... At any rate I decided to teach him a lesson and cut all my hair off (who knows if he even felt bad). I just went to great clips, cause I didn't have a clue about getting your my hair cut (my mom always cut and trimmed my hair) and the lady while cutting my hair said "all that beautiful hair". I mean really? And that is the beginning of my hair issues.
Having short hair was liberating. It felt so good. I remember thinking, my head feels lighter. It was easier to do. I felt "done up" more than I did with long hair. I would find a picture of a short haircut and take it in to great clips and get it cut and then in a couple months it would grow out and I could try something new. It was so fun!
That summer I lifeguarded. Having short hair was much easier to manage in and out of the pool. I was also a cheerleader and I remember after a haircut going to cheer practice and one of the captains looked at me very disappointedly and said something to the effect of "you cut your hair? you should have long hair for cheer". It didn't stop me from having fun with my hair but it did make me feel like I was disappointing people by keeping it short.
My junior year I got a convertible. Short hair just made sense. It didn't tangle near as much and looked ok wind blown. I also was on swim team and was washing my hair twice a day. Long hair would have been a nightmare to brush through that much.
I had a really close guy friend tell me I should grow my hair out.
I finally did. My sophomore year of college. I also gain weight and had pretty bad acne that year so...... after that year when my skin cleared up (after a round of acutane) and I lost some weight I went ahead and chopped it off. It felt so good!
I followed the same pattern of getting it cut at random. Lots of people would throw in their opinions. Roommates, family members, church members when I was at home visiting ("what did you do to your hair" came up once). Its amazing how many people had opinions about my hair and usually the consensus was that I should grow it out.
Even Tim and I got in a little scuffle about a haircut I got when we were dating. He thought I was punishing him.
Once I thought Tim and I might get engaged I stopped cutting my hair. It "needed" to be long for the wedding.
After we got married. I got it cut. And then a month later I got the worst hair cut of my life!! It was so awful and too short and it cured me. I stopped cutting it.....for over three years. I would get a trim twice a year and that was it. And my hair got so long. Longer than it had ever been. And then I had Oliver. And I couldn't stand the thought of brushing it after the shower let alone blow drying it. You see my hair is very fine, but I have a TON of it. Every time someone new cuts my hair (especially when it's long) they struggle to brush it out after they wash it. Lots of fine hair tangles super easy. Anyway, I got it cut and was not very happy with the cut. And I got it cut two more times. Both were disappointing so I decided to grow it out again.
So, two years and another baby later and there I was. It's over 100 degrees every day. I'm carting baby and toddler everywhere. My hair is always in a bun or a ponytail. My head hurts at the end of each day from said bun and ponytail (that much hair can get heavy). When I wear my hair down it goes flat because there is so much of it it just weighs itself down and well. I was done. But all of these past experiences were hanging over my head. Everyone wants me to have long hair. It's so beautiful. I won't like it short. It takes so long to grow back.
Well, last week I went ahead and just took the scissors to my hair. First off why should someone else get to have all the fun of chopping that much hair off?? And second it was kind a weird brave dealing with my insecurities move. And, it felt SO GOOD!!
I am so happy to have short hair again! I am so excited to try out all the short haircuts and styles on my Pinterest board. My hair is bouncier. It feels lighter. It's cooler (as in the whether). It feels more stylish (even though a little less glamorous). It feels fun and happy!! It feels like me!! And it feels so good! And even though Oliver has already said, "I don't like your hair, I like it big" I am trying my hardest to not let anything negative people have to say about it bother me because I'm pretty happy about it.
So, for your viewing pleasure, The Great Haircut of 2014:
"Ain't nobody got time for that" (this picture was taken a few weeks ago when I had an appointment to get my hair chopped and I chickened out for above mentioned reasons....what is wrong with me?)
It's just a lot
I stood in front of the mirror for a long ol time before I took the plunge
I am only holding half of my hair (I cut the sides separately)
Whit tried to clean it up for me. It was an honest attempt but I had a friend clean it up the next day.
Happy! (I HATE taking selfies and either have my mouth open or am concentrating far too much)
Curls for church? Absolutely! So much faster!
Two hair quotes that I found on pinterest that I love. The top one is my favorite!
One thing that I have to remind myself is that it is in fact JUST HAIR! It grows back. There is much more important things in life. And it should be fun!









I think it looks amazing! Sometimes enough is just ENOUGH with the long hair already :)
ReplyDeleteI've said it before, but really, you'd look gorgeous with a shaved head. Doesn't matter much what your hair is doing. I love it long AND short!
ReplyDelete