Thursday, August 2, 2012

The Great Hair Dilemma

I sometimes day dream that I will get to be on one of those make-over shows where they tell you what clothes look best on you and how to do your make-up and most importantly, they tell you what hairstyle flatters you the most. How great would that be? I used to be so unattached to my hair, getting it cut when I had a bad day or wanted a change. But not now. It's like this great dilemma all. the. time! I don't mean for it to be, it just happens. Anyway, I am due for a color and definitely some sort of trim/please give my hair some shape and I decided to go through old photos and see where my hair has been and what I like best. It was a very interesting experiment and I definitely learned a lot about myself:

- I like the way short hair feels better than long hair
- I like the way long hair looks on me better than short hair
- I wear my hair up in a pony, bun, or some way about 75% of the time (when it's long enough)
- I don't want to mess with my hair (It does seem like a waste of time), I wish it would just do itself
- I like the way I look when I do mess with my hair
- Excess weight and acne are not flattering on me :) Especially with shorter hair
- My hair is weird....It's fine, but I have a lot of it, so it looks flat a lot of the time and will often just hang there
- I think I look better without bangs, but I so long for bangs
- I'm too cheap to get my color touched up every 6-8 weeks and end up resenting my roots
-Taking a picture of a celebrity to your hairstylist and asking for that cut is always a disappointment, lets face it, I'll never look quite like the celebrity :)

Do you see my dilemma???? And my poor husband gets to hear about it way more often than any man should. (sorry Tim!) So, here is a little timeline of the last 6 years of my hair life......

Loved the feeling of this hair cut, not so cute though

Tim thinks I look like a Jap Animation character with this hair cut....enough said

Still, I just keep cutting

A little too short here

Kinda love

Kinda love (if I lost the 10 lbs I'd gained at school that year)
Just a bad picture, trying to grow it out

Growing it out for the wedding (I was obviously cutting my own bangs at this point)

Grow out, hate it

So proud of myself for growing it so long before my wedding :)


A month after I got married, I got the itch and cut off 2-3 inches

But 2-3 inches wasn't enough so I went ahead and did this.......REALLY??? WHAT WAS I THINKING?!?!?! I look like I'm wearing a wig. Have you seen the FRIENDS episode where Phoebe cuts Monica's hair? Monica says "I said Demi Moore, not Dudley Moore. Logan and Whitney call this my Dudley Moore Haircut :(

I mean really?

And now it looks awkward growing out, the bangs are ok though

Like the long bang, such a pain though

Yucky grow out length and I sometimes have a hard time getting my hair to lay flat in front, I hate the wave that it does

Awkward

Progress but not great


The bang experiment....not so much. I think it was a bad hair length to try bangs

And this is why I often prefer short hair. My pony after a jog.....so gross!!


Ahh, we've reached a good length


like

like


Love!! Color and length and even the amount of layers


Woah.....getting kinda long

So long 

Where's my sister wives?? :)



After I had Oliver I thought I'll take off a few inches, but it just didn't satisfy my itch to cut
And then I did this, what an uncomfortable length
And not my fave.....


I am about a 1/2 inch longer than this now and dying!!! I hate having medium length hair. I've decided it needs to be short but not too short or long but not too long, none of this in-between business. Now do you understand? :) 
Long?
Short?
Bangs?
No Bangs?
 Maybe someday my dilemma will be solved and my dreams will come true and I'll make it on a make over show!


**Please note that I am fully aware that this is a ridiculous "dilemma" and that I know it really doesn't matter.....that too much. It's important to feel good about yourself and like how you look, but obsessing over it is not so good. It is super entertaining to see how fickle I am about the whole thing

5 comments:

  1. Haha! You crack me up Sydney... Where are my sister wives?!? Love it. You are lucky that your hair looks so great so many ways! Seriously! If my hair was really short I would surely look like a man. But you look so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL!! I think I disagree with some of your opinions about which hair lengths/cuts are better than others on you - kinda funny. But seriously, I have always thought that you were someone that could pull off any hair style. I did really like your hair long (but I'm not that one that had to blow dry and style it) and I think you look good with bangs. I also think you look really cute with short hair. Yes, I see your dilemma....I guess it's hard to look good with lots of different hair styles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha. I loved this as I totally can relate. I have just about as many different cuts as you do! I totally feel you on the short hair thing and it makes me actually style my hair instead of just put it up. But I love the long hair on you, too. I"m pretty sure you look gorgeous with any length of hair!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to call this #whitegirlproblems - but here's my take. I love your hair when it's super short - like those earlier photos in the post of short hair? Before you get to the dudley moore phase. :) I really do think you look darling like that and you have the right face for it. Then I also love the photos when your hair is REALLY long. I think those to extremes look the best on you. But you are ALWAYS beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, I have always said I am team "short hair with bangs" but after looking at all the pictures, I really REALLY love your super long hair (even the sister wives picture! haha). It looks so good! Even when you think your hair is at a gross length, you still look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete