It always used to bother me when other girls would talk about their husbands and say "I married the man of my dreams." I think my little perfectionist mind couldn't believe that someone could actually find and marry the man that fit all the requirements that their dreams had created. Don't get me wrong, I spent plenty of my adolescents wondering who I would fall madly in love with. Who would take my breath away? Make life worth living? Who was my "soul mate"? And all of the other hopelessly romantic thoughts any teenage girl could think of. I just questioned if anyone would actually fit the bill.
One of the things that is great but also really stinks about my personality is that I'm a perfectionist by nature (I'm terrible at it - very imperfect, but it takes up a lot of my thoughts and well it's just who I am). I want things and people and events to be "perfect" (whatever my mind decides that means for the day). One of the reasons why its great is because it makes me work hard, think about what I really want and do my best. But I also can have unrealistic expectations and can be left feeling dissatisfied for no good reason. Needless to say, being married to me can be rough I'm sure.
At the interview dinner we went to Monday night, some of the doctors were asking me about Tim. Silly questions like, "what are things that he does that bothers you?" I sat there and thought for a moment. I finally told them nothing really. Everything I could think of was so ridiculous and superficial and unimportant. I think they thought I was just trying to make Tim look good. I told them that sometimes he doesn't shut the cupboards when he's taking things out of them and that he has a hard time carrying a meaningful conversation and driving at the same time (he usually misses an exit or stops at a green light). I've thought more about that question since that night. And it's true. Tim really is close to perfect especially in the places that count and if the only bad thing I can come up with is that he doesn't always close the cupboard or turn off the closet light and he gets so caught up in talking to me that he misses his exit when he drives, then I am one lucky girl.
So now that I've rambled on for three paragraphs, what am I getting at? The thing is, when I really stop and think about it, Tim is the man of my dreams. I was always just been too distracted by all that doesn't matter to dream him up. He means more to me than I ever thought possible. My superficial perfectionist brain would never be able to create someone so good. Tim is smart. He is so smart it blows my mind. But, the thing about Tim is that it doesn't phase him. It doesn't make him better or smarter than you. He is the worlds best teacher. It doesn't matter how simple minded you are, he can take any subject and bring it down to your level without being condescending. He is nice. Sincerely nice. He treats people like they matter. He is so patient. He doesn't need to be the center of attention. He works tirelessly and doesn't complain. He loves his boys so much and wants nothing more than to spend time with them. He loves his parents and siblings and is so grateful for them and for his roots. He loves my family and treats them like their his own. He is thoughtful. He's so handsome!! He's generous. He is a faithful church member and always fulfills his callings. And he loves me so much more than I ever dreamed I'd be loved. He makes me feel like I'm the most important person in his life and like my happiness is part of his motivation... Maybe I didn't marry the man of my dreams, I married someone even better.
I am so happy Tim was born 31 years ago and that our paths crossed in the library 8 years ago. I really am the luckiest girl in the world. I love you Tim! Happy Birthday!





















Tim really is one good boy and I feel lucky to have been his mama. What a sweet birthday tribute Syd and I know that he feels the same about you. You must have both done something right to find each other.
ReplyDelete