WARNING: This post has no pictures
I am not a risk taker. In fact, I am a rules follower. I like directions. Clear-cut, this is how you do it, directions. And while I know that my personality typically comes off confident, there are so many things that I am insecure about. And I am happy to confidently talk about them...usually in hopes to find the solution.
After teaching swim lessons with the City of Phoenix for just a year I decided to teach private lessons myself, without any big company to hide behind....this was one of the most terrifying things I had ever done. Did I have the skills? Was I good enough? Would my students actually learn how to swim? And the list of insecurities goes on. But for some reason (not true, the reason was a flexible schedule and a way to make money) I decided to take the risk and teach private lessons, self advertised, on my own. That was almost 8 years ago. I still teach a client or two every summer. And I still struggle with the same self doubts. Even after countless compliments and happy kids who have learned how to swim. I am also always looking for ways to be a better teacher. And ways to improve my confidence and quiet my fears.
I am always so in awe of people who are confident in their trade. And maybe annoyed sometimes. How can they be so sure of themselves? I am super aware of pride and I avoid it almost to my detriment. I think that the fear I have of being prideful does more than just keep me grounded, it holds me back. Keeps me from taking risks and putting myself out there.
What am I even setting the stage for here anyway? Well, for quite some time now I have fiddled with the idea of becoming a professional organizer. I love helping people go through their things, purge unneeded items and create a more orderly and enjoyable space. But, there's not really a degree you get to become a professional organizer. No two day conference you go to to get a certificate. You have to put yourself out there. Get experience. Take some online classes and get hours. And its the hours that get you certified. It sounds like a big risk. It sounds like a lot, especially when I wonder, "am I really even that good anyway?" Well, I have finally decided to take the leap (it's going to be more like a slow step, with a baby on the way and two busy boys) and get myself certified :)
Tuesday night I was invited to teach a Relief Society class for a ward in my stake. I taught a class for my RS about 6 months ago that went pretty well. But it was a small group (maybe 10 of us) and I knew everyone there and felt pretty comfortable with the group. Tuesday night there were probably 30 women there and I only knew a handful. I was SO nervous. I all of the sudden felt like I had no business telling these ladies how to simplify and organize, but I just put on my brave face and gave my presentation and it actually went pretty well. I didn't say everything I wanted to, and it didn't go perfectly, but people were receptive and complimentary and it was just the confidence boost I needed to inspire me to get started. It felt good to feel like I have a "tangible talent". It felt good to be validated and noticed. Not to play the mom violin, because I love being a stay at home mom, but I think this will be the perfect outlet for me to get a little validation and have a little something away from my 24/7 mom duties. I am EXCITED!!!
So, here we go!! I am going to start a separate blog (I will hopefully be able to find a better blog address, but it's amazing to me that all the good ones are taken) to record my journey and do my best to inspire a clutter free life. Wish me luck!
You will be amazing, Sydney!
ReplyDelete