Monday, August 8, 2016

Kindergarten

Oliver started school today. I was on thought and emotion overload about the whole thing. I was super excited for him but super nervous. Would he make friends? Would he have fun? Would he feel safe and comfortable? Would he be nice? Would he have someone to sit by at lunch and play with at recess? Would he get in trouble? Would he be happy? The happy thing was the biggest one. I just didn't want him to be sad.

So, we packed his lunch last night. Laid out his uniform. Tim gave him a Father's Blessing. And then we put a little pouch full of "magic confetti" from his teacher that was supposed to help him sleep, under his pillow. To which he remarked, "magic isn't real, it's just a diversion". Yep, he used the word diversion.....he blows my mind every day.

We woke up this morning, ate breakfast (faster than usual), got dressed, brushed teeth, packed up the back pack and Tim and I got to take him to school. We left the other kids with my in-laws who were still in town from the blessing. I sat in the back of the van with Oliver. He didn't notice I was back there for a couple of minutes. It was cute. We chatted with him all the way to school. We walked him to his playground. We watched him run around with kids he didn't know. We watched him grab his backpack and lunch and get in line. We gave him a big hug and then we watched him go inside. No tears, no fear.

I teared up as I walked away. I've spent the last five years doing my best to teach that sweet boy to be nice and considerate. To listen and be respectful. To play and have fun. And now I'm sharing him five days a week with someone else. It's totally time for him to get more formal schooling, clearly using words like diversion qualifies him for that. But still, it was harder than I thought it would be. I didn't know I would miss him as much as I do.

I picked him up this afternoon and he was pretty happy. He said he had a good day. His teacher read him a book. He drew a picture with a pencil and crayons. He ate half his lunch....

I'm relieved it wasn't a disaster. And I'm praying that tomorrow will go well. And I hope that everyone will love my sweet boy as much as I do, because he really has so much to offer.

Selfie with the Kindergartener

Riding in the back with my boy.

My big Kindergardener

No comments:

Post a Comment