On the day I hit 37 weeks my water broke in the middle of the night (approx 11:30 pm). It took us a little while to be convinced that it was actually my water, which goes to show you how unprepared we were. We got to the hospital, didn't even go to triage, got all set up in labor and delivery, got an epidural having only felt a couple of contractions that were mainly in my lower back, and after pushing for an hour and a half (Oliver was face up) Oliver was born at 5:35 am.
Ok, so with that in mind let me tell you how little Peter came to be here. On Tuesday 10/15, just two days shy of being 38 weeks, I hosted play school. I felt the need to finish packing my hospital bag, just in case. I was moving pretty slow and was experiencing menstrual like cramps. Nothing too intense and nothing consistent. Oliver took his usual afternoon nap and afterwards I took him to my moms house so I didn't have to be the only one watching the busy man. I was still having contractions and they were still inconsistent and not too uncomfortable. My mom and I agreed that it was better to hang out at home for a few more hours than at the hospital, but I still wasn't convinced this was labor. I'd already had a few of these episodes in the previous days and weeks and figured it was the same thing. I did however ask Tim to come home when his shift was over and not chart at the hospital.
Tim came home a little after 5:30pm. Neither of us were super hungary. We fed Oliver and put him down around 7. And I went and got in some cozy clothes and laid down in bed and started watching a movie and Tim started his charting. The pain started to fluctuate and so the the intervals and boy did I have to urinate!! I seriously was getting up like every 5 minutes. It was weird. Tim was timing the contractions and a little before 10pm I saw the "bloody show" and we decided it was time. We loaded Oliver in the car and put him down at my moms house. And then we swung by Wendy's to get me a frosty (I still hadn't had dinner) and Tim a sandwich. We got checked into triage at 11:15pm and I was dilated to a 6 (but my water hadn't broken). And that is when all hell broke loose. I hate to say it but people were just not moving fast enough and I was slowly dying. (Note to self when they ask me what my pain is on a scale of one to ten always say TEN!). At one point I'm pretty sure when Tim asked what can I do for you I said, "You can get me a damn nurse in here right now to get me an epidural." It seemed appropriate at the time.
They finally got me up to a labor and delivery room at 11:25pm and I thought that the pain was coming to an end. WRONG, I hadn't experienced pain yet! My doctor was not on call so Tim went ahead and paged him just to give him a heads up and he called to say he was on his way. Mean while the nurses were trying to get an IV in me. I tested positive for Group B at the beginning of this pregnancy and needed to get some penicillin. I also needed to get a whole lot of fluids in before they'd let me get an epidural and if all that wasn't bad enough the resident walks in and steps IN FRONT of the nurse who is trying to insert the IV. The one thing that is going to relieve all this terrible pain that is taking over my entire body. She was trying to explain things to me and there was no way I could listen. All I was thinking was, "please move so I can get my IV!" The nurse got smart and went on the other side of me (thank you nurse!). Meanwhile the resident did a very uncomfortable ultrasound on my pubic bone and then "checked me". Between the two I thought I might die. At that point I no longer liked the resident (apparently I get a little feisty when I'm in a lot of pain).
I still didn't feel like people were moving fast enough. I kept looking at Tim like he had the answers and the poor guy was helpless. And then my body took over and there was absolutely nothing I could do about it and I screamed, "I have to PUUUUUUUSHHHHHHHH" and then my water didn't just break, it exploded.
At this point I'm making all sorts of noises. Different WOMEN are walking in and out of the room including ANOTHER resident for who knows what reason and I just want an anesthesiologist or my doctor there. And then a more seasoned nurse walked in and says to all the other women there, "what are you doing to this poor girl?!?!" Hallelujah!! Someone who cared!! Everyone else was like, "she wants an epidural" and started hyming and hahing and she looked at me and said "you can have this baby in thirty minutes and feel this awful the entire time waiting for the epidural to kick in OR you can have this baby in two minutes, lets have this baby." To which I said in a weepy I surrender voice, ok.... Then resident number two steps up and says "I'm going to check you again" and I said, "NO". It hurt way too bad the time before and I was at a 9 then, surely I was at a 10 and I did not need fingers anywhere near where the pain was.
And so I began to push with my contractions. I had no idea how much your body takes over with the pushing. It's amazing! Too bad it hurts so much! The nurses who were hold my legs up kept telling ME to hold my legs up to which I replied I don't want to. I was too busy gripping the sheets with my fists. Around this time I looked over to watch the anesthesiologist walk in.....really? I could feel by body slowly tearing as I pushed with all my might to get that little baby out at 11:58pm 7.4oz 19.4in. Once he was delivered my doctor walked in. I got a good look at my sweet baby and then they took him away (which I hate to say I was ok with. I was still DYING). And then the resident, the first one, was like "ok, I need you to push again." ARE YOU KIDDING ME????!?!?! I basically said "I don't want to" and the placenta came out just fine anyway. By this time I got a nice dose of something through my IV and I was head nodding while I got stitched up (Yes, I tore in THREE different places) and listened to the nurse poke my new baby multiple times to get enough blood to send over to the lab for the group B nonsense. At one point the resident was using a rough cloth to do a little wiping to remove some blood to which I responded "that really hurts" and my doc said "can we get something a little softer". Kinda sad he wasn't there the entire time.
And that is how little Peter got here. The next morning the resident stopped in to check on me and I was sure to apologize for being rude to her. Much to my satisfaction she said that I was, "appropriate considering the circumstances." We stayed in the hospital 'till Thursday afternoon and we were discharge around 2pm. My body has officially been rocked. Between the sore bum, no sleep and bleeding breasts my body was showing flu-like symptoms, chills, 101 temp, headache body aches, Saturday night and Sunday morning. Possibly mastitis? My doctor called in a pain med and antibiotic for me and I switched to just pumping for the time being until something heals.
My mom, sister, and sister-in-law have been awesome!! They have all taken Oliver at some point. My mom has done laundry and dishes and held the baby. I've never been so relieved to live close to family in my entire life! Such a blessing!! And Tim!! I don't think I could have done this with anyone else. He is such a rock. He was able to find coverage for his Wednesday and Thursday shifts and was back to work on Saturday. He works this week, but has next week off and we are both really looking forward to it. I love that man more than I could ever express and experiences like these just confirm that.
Oliver has done a really good job adjusting. Peter was smart and brought Oliver a present to the hospital. He is going to be a helpful older brother for sure.
And last but not least, Peter. What a sweet little peanut. He really is a heaven sent. He eats, sleeps and poops and right now that is about as much as I can handle so I am really grateful. He looks a lot like Oliver except he has TWO dimples (thanks grandma Maxine!!). He has a head full of dark hair and makes the sweetest facial expressions. And when his eyes are open I fall in love with him all over again. It was a pretty traumatic experience for me (obviously) but it was totally worth it!
Last night we were all home together. We were sitting in our main room. I was pumping (which btw Oliver is very fascinated with this and has told family members that "mom feeds baby brother chicken from her boobies".....that kid is so funny!), Tim was holding Peter and Oliver was watching Daniel Tiger and drinking milk and my heart was so full I thought it might burst!!! This is MY family. These are MY children. Thoughts of going on picnics or ordering pizza and watching a movie and other family activities flooded my head and any ounce of doubt I had of weather or not it was worth it was washed away. I would do anything to have this sweet little family of mine!!!
The End
Trying to keep things happy, I just barely checked in
I'm number one......trying to tell myself that
He was pretty upset with how things went down too
I think he got my ability to make crusty faces
Photo op with the doc
Tim is pretty excited about another little guy
This was Tim's artistic touch. I kinda love it.
Still trying to maintain some humor! I got a lot of comments on my socks.
Peter meets Auntie Claire for the first time.
First family Photo
All of my boys. Do you see how my cup runneth over??
Peter meets Grandma Riding (Grandpa was out of town).
Peter meets Great Grandpa Frankie Bear and Great Grandma Joan
Peter meets Aunt Whitney
The hearing test. He passed!
Loaded up for the ride home.
Peter gets to meet Grandpa Riding
Look at those expressions!
Breaking the Sabbath with Dad to get me some meds and food.
Meeting Grandma Virginia
My two boys just chillin' and watching a little Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood. Love these two!!
I'm sure my next post will be much more blissful!!





















Oh my goodness, I love the crusty face photo! Congratulations - you did it!
ReplyDeleteSometimes I can't believe what us women go through to bring children into this world?! But then we get these beautiful babies. And Peter is just adorable! You go girl ������������
ReplyDeleteOH SYD! I am so sad about the fever/mastitis/whatever infection. So so so sorry. Hope everything gets better soon because pumping, yeah, that is my least favorite ever.
ReplyDeleteThat was a pretty positive post for such a crazy experience. And that's why I love you! I love reading labor stories so thanks for sharing. Does your dad read your blog? My dad might freak out if I said boobies on my blog. :)
ReplyDeleteOh syd!!! What a story! I'm sorry! You look pretty darn amazing for all of that craziness! And Peter is just too darling. How long of a drive is it to Phoenix? I might need to make my way to you to give him a squeeze.
ReplyDelete