Friday, January 26, 2018

The Worst Day EVER!

Tuesday morning I woke up extra early and went for a hike. I got home and started getting kids and up Oliver ready for school. Tim was home with us that morning which was so nice to have him around to help make breakfast and lunch. The kids were  running around being crazy per usual. We got Oliver off to school and Molly and Peter were happy little friends playing. Tim went to work and my friend Emily met me at my house with her two kids so we could all drive in my van to go to a Birthday party in the East Valley. About 5 minutes into our drive Molly started throwing up. I pulled over, cleaned her up, and then she started throwing up again. I decided we probably shouldn't share our throw-up at the party, so we went back to my house and Emily took Peter to the party with her.

That's when things got super weird. Molly was still kind of throwing up but it was more like gagging. And I could see foam and she would cough out yellow...it was awful!! I put her in the bath tub (one of her favorite places) and she wanted nothing to do with it. But being covered in throw up I insisted I rinse her off and then in the tub she started acting really lethargic and was closing her eyes. Reminder this is 9 in the morning and she's in an inch of water...being tired in this set of circumstance was super weird. I called Tim and was kind of freaking out and we decided I should take her to the Children's Hospital. I called my mom and told her I was going to pick her up so she could drive us.

My mind was racing...Molly is naked...should I get her dressed? At least a diaper....Can I make it to my moms house. I can drive faster than an ambulance can get here right? Maybe she's just tired from throwing up?? Should I even pick up my mom? What is wrong with Molly? 

I got her dressed so fast. Put her in her car seat and drove to my moms (running the red light that takes forever by my house...I was very safe about it and decided it was important). My mom drove and I sat in the back with Molly. Molly was still gagging at random and trying to fall asleep in between.

We got to the hospital and I rushed inside and was put in line (major eye roll). I was super annoyed, couldn't they tell we were in distress. Fortunately Tim met us there and and pulled the I'm a doctor card with nurse and she got a good look at Molly and let us into the department and called a code and a team of doctors and nurses and techs came rushing up and started looking at my sweet baby. They laid her on a bed and put an oxygen mask on her and she didn't flinch or pull it off. They tried to start and iv in her arm and were unsuccessful a couple of times and Molly didn't even react to the multiple pokes....and thats when I really started freaking out. What was wrong with her?!?! Why wasn't she freaking out??? I asked the doctor, shouldn't she be so upset by all of this and he said "yes". They did EKG's, a chest x-ray, a head CT, blood and urine tests, and gave her IV fluids. Her temp was 96, her circulation was slow and her skin color was awful. After two bolus (large syringes full) of IV fluid she started reacting a little bit to things. She cried a little more and seemed a little more opinionated (and Molly is VERY opinionated so this was looking better). 

Molly finally fell asleep and took about an hour nap. She woke up wanting the IV's out of her arms and thirsty. She inhaled three apple juice boxes. And was totally "normal". And we were all left totally puzzled. What the heck happened? Was I being over dramatic? Was she just dehydrated? Why could have caused such a sudden illness like this? It's a giant puzzle. But I will say that I am so grateful for clam skilled doctors and nurses who were able and available to take such good care of my sweet girl when she needed it. Tim thinks that Molly may have had a virus that caused her intestins to absorb a lot of fluid causing sudden dehydration....

At any rate. Molly is her happy sassy little self and I will live 5-10 years left as a result of this! It was such an awful experience. It was a reminder to me that things can change in a moment so as cheesy or cliche, it is so important to enjoy the moment and the little things. Also another reminder that I am not in charge! Try as I may, I don't get to control everything and I really need to rely on faith and prayer and my Heavenly Father. Also having a husband in the medical field is super helpful and I don't think I will ever not need my mom. She is wonderful!! Also I just love my babies an extra lot...especially little miss.

Tuesday morning happy as a clam!! Playing with Peter

A couple of hours later. Totally out of it. This was after the IV fluid so imagine her looking worse than this.

The saddest thing ever. Look at her little hand with all that junk on it!

I snuggled up by her for a little bit during her nap. All I wanted to do was hold my sweet baby girl.

Awake and slowly coming to.

Back home that afternoon and in the bath. Finally giving me a smile.

I may have made her fall asleep with me that night. I just needed to be close to her.

Wednesday morning. Back to mischief and getting pretty much whatever she wanted. 

Love you my sweet Molly!! I literally can't imagine my life without you in it!

No comments:

Post a Comment