Last year Tim read The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People. As I would talk to him about different questions I had or things that bothered me he would continually refer to this book. He also told me that I needed to read it. It was a little hesitant because I have a hard time reading books that are not in novel format (it's a terrible thing to admit and I must fix it). After the first of the year I decided to accept the challenge and began reading the book. Granted there are a few slow parts and a lot of business references that I wasn't totally excited about, but overall the book was EXCELLENT and very motivating and inspiring. I would highly recommend it to everyone. The author, Stephen Covey, even throws in a number of parenting tips which I found very helpful. In fact he has a book called The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Families that just made my "to read" least. Anyway, the book is fully of tons of little nuggets of wisdom and he has lots of quotes. I thought I'd share some of my favorites.
"Sometimes when I consider what tremendous consequences come from little things....I am tempted to think...there are no little things." - Bruce Barton
"Service is the rent we pay for the privilege of living on this earth." - N. Eldon Tanner
"You cannot play with the animal in you without becoming wholly animal, play with falsehood without forfeiting your right to truth, play with cruelty without losing your sensitivity of mind. He who wants to keep his garden tidy doesn't reserve a plot for weeds." - Dag Hammarskjold
"There are only two lasting bequests we can give our children-one is roots, the other wings." -unkown
"The Lord works from the inside out. The world works from the outside in. The world would take people out of the slums. Christ takes the slums out of people, and then they take themselves out of the slums. The world would mold men by changing their environment. Christ changes men, who then change their environment. The world would shape human behavior, but Christ can change human nature." -Ezra Taft Benson
"Being influenceable is the key to influencing others." -Stephen R Covey
"This is the true joy in life-that being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one. That being a force of nature, instead of a feverish, selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy. I am of the opinion that my life belongs to the whole community and as long as I live it is my privilege to do for it whatever I can. I want to be thoroughly used up when I die. For the harder I work the more I live. I rejoice in life for its own sake. Life is no brief candle to me. It's a sort of splendid torch which I've got to hold up for the moment and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it on to future generations."
- George Bernard Shaw
No comments:
Post a Comment