Thursday, June 28, 2012

The Benefits of Residency

There is something comforting about being a student. I think it mostly has to do with the financial aspect of things. Because most of the money you deal with is just numbers on paper, it doesn't really feel real, kind of like you're dealing with monopoly money. And you know that your loans won't starting accruing interest until you've graduated and that always seems so far away. And then one day you do graduate and you realize that you have not been playing monopoly for the past four years and money is actually real. I was a little concerned when our medical school "board game" ended and we had to face the music of the real world and leave our comfortable student lifestyle with our very affordable student housing and all of our student friends who were just as poor as we were. But it turns out there are some pretty great benefits to residency.

For starters we get health and dental insurance which is a pretty big deal this day and age and we were paying out of pocket for me and Oliver after I quit work, so that is pretty great. And then there's the whole money for books and conferences and PDA situation that is pretty nice......for Tim that is :) I think he will have a good time with those expenditures. Tim also gets $18 a day in the cafeteria. That's correct, EIGHTEEN DOLLARS! Which seems like an absurd amount to me but I guess if he is working a long shift he could be eating all three meals there which makes sense (and to answer your question, no he can not roll over what he doesn't use and no he can't get paid out for what he doesn't use. I know you were all thinking it 'cause that was my first question). The nice thing about this benefit is that occasionally he'll sneak me home a treat from the cafeteria. Feeding your family from your aloted amount is discouraged but we figure an occasional treat is ok! Yesterday he managed to bring me a delicious hagan daz ice cream bar and Logan a Tollhouse Icecream sandwich without them melting all over his car. But, the best benefit of all was reaped today. Today was Tim's very first payday as an MD!!!! And after an 11 month sabbatical from getting a paycheck (Oliver was born and I quit working) it was a welcome sight. So I guess graduating and being a paid employee is pretty beneficial after all :)

Our delectable ice cream treats

Tim was happy about his paycheck

I was really happy about his paycheck

And Oliver was ecstatic about his paycheck (and then he tried to eat it)

1 comment: