Saturday, June 2, 2012

We Made It!!

Oh don't worry, after 23 hours of traveling home I'm awake at 2:04 AM San Diego time just hanging out with Oliver and hoping that he behaves himself during Tim's graduation tomorrow (and still thinking it was totally worth it!).

Tim and I had a fabulous time in Switzerland and since I have been doing top tens every day, I thought I'd do three final top ten lists (I know you're thinking 3?, but that's how much I love lists!).

Our top 10 favorite places we saw ( in random order because we really had a hard time ranking them):

1) Mt Rigi with its overwhelming views


2) Murten with its awesome ramparts and small town feel


3) Luzern with its riverfront charm and old bridges (and the lion of course!)



4) Bern with its ability to collide history with modern society



5) The Matterhorn (seeing it at Disneyland is one thing, but real life is a whole other level)


6) Taking the cable cars to overlook Mt First and riding on the zip line


7) Gruyères was like walking through a fantasy land


8) The chocolate factory in Broc Fabrique


9) Paddle-boating in Lausanne on lake Geneva and being able to see France


10) Touring the Château de Chillon on the edge of Lake Geneva on the outskirts of Montreux



Top 10 Good to Knows when traveling Switzerland:
1) Toms are so comfy for walking a lot (and they look good with skinny jeans which most tennis shoes don't and all I own are skinnys)
2) Rick Steve's is the bomb!! We loved referring to his book and getting little tidbits of info
3) The Swiss Pass is hands down the way to go. The up front cost is pretty expensive but 90% of what we did was covered by the Swiss pass or discounted. It definitely paid for itself plus some
4) While not totally necessary, I loved having my iPhone and being able to take notes if what was going on during the day and I used it as my camera. It's such a great size and so convenient
5) We were considering bringing our big BOB jogging stroller and opted for a nicer umbrella and we are so glad. The BOB would have been way to big and inconvenient for most things we did. We made sure to get an umbrella with a little cup holder and pouch, sun visor, lower basket, and that reclined, all of which were really nice to have
6) It was more than helpful to get first hand info from someone who has been there done that (my aunt). It really made the trip more enjoyable
7) You don't have to tip IF you go to a restaurant (we made that mistake)
8) The Migro Takeaway was an awesome place to go and grab an affordable little meal on the go
9) British Airways offers a bassinet (for a lap child) only if you ask. It's free and really nice to not have to hold your baby the whole time
10) Migro (the grocery store) brand chocolate is totally the way to go. It's super good and really cheap :)

And Finally

Top 10 Favorite things about Switzerland:
1) The clock towers
2) The Cow bells
3) The Trains are clean and efficient and provide awesome views of the country
4) All the different cable cars (they're everywhere!) you get to take to get to different towns
5) The lake water is so clean and pure. I wanted to jump in a few times
6) The Aare River is big and beautiful and I wanted to go tubing down it so bad
7) The city's are so clean an there is virtually no pollution (minus the cigarette butts)
8) Seriously, the sights and scenery are right out of a fantasy land. It's amazing
9) The Alps are HUGE and beautiful
10) The historical preservation is so cool

So grateful we were able to go on this vacation of a lifetime. Thanks Aunt Dru, Uncle Keith, Josh and Kelly!!!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you made it back ok! What an awesome trip! All the pictures are breathtaking. Maybe you can take us back sometime and be our tour guide. :)

    ReplyDelete