Sunday, June 24, 2012

Jordan's, where everybody knows your name

There is a restaurant here in Phoenix that my family has been going to for years. It's kind of the "go to" place for us. It's cheap and easy and we know the owner and the servers. In fact often time the servers will bring you your drink of choice before you even have a chance to order it. It actually reminds me a little bit of the TV show "Cheers", "where everybody knows your name". It's not uncommon to go in there and see people you know. When I was little this would happen all the time. We would see families from church eating there. My family has a lot of history with that place. We've seen it evolve and I am convinced we've eaten there enough times to have paid for at least half of the remodel they did a few years back. When my mom was pregnant with me she craved the food so much and went there so often that my dad would bring a sack lunch or dinner with him because he was sick of eating there. And currently my grandparents go at least 2 or 3 times a week for lunch or dinner. It's actually kind of funny to me. Do other families have a place like this?

The name of the restaurant is Jordan's and the food is Mexican. And while it may not be the best Mexican food, and some people have accused their complimentary sauce (it's too smooth to be called salsa ) of tasting like ketchup, I can't help but enjoy the food. (My mother seems to think that while the sauce may taste like ketchup, it's pretty addicting and keeps the customers coming back for more.) Maybe because it reminds me of my childhood or maybe because it really is pretty good. Regardless, the next time you're in Phoenix you should stop by and check it out. While we were eating there the other day, I realized that Oliver is the fifth generation in my family to eat there, so there must be something pretty special about it to merit that!


The "tootsie roll" door handles. As I child I wished they would make tootsie rolls that size

Having lunch with my mom and grandparents

Four generations eating at Jordan's (Please excuse my grandpa's eyepatch, he just had a cataract removed, although I do think he would make a handsome pirate!) 

And ALWAYS a tootsie roll for dessert. That is for sure a tradition!


1 comment:

  1. The food at Jordan's is pretty good. It's no Café Rio or Tia Rosa's, but it's quick and cheap, like Syd said. Viva Jordan's! :-)

    ReplyDelete