Monday, December 17, 2012

All Aboard!!!

This is the first of two train posts. Can you even believe that both my Friday and Saturday nights were train centered?

So, let's start in chronological order. Friday night, was so much fun!! A friend told me that McCormick-Stillman Railroad Park decorated for Christmas. This sounded like good family night so instead of just going with Oliver and Tim, I roped the entire family into going and it was a really fun inexpensive evening. We walked around this pretty impressive model railroad display with lots of very cool mini towns and miniature trains running all around the place, a lot of them carrying some popular characters like the Loony Toons or the California Raisins (do you remember them?). And they had these fantastic doll houses, that any small child would dream of owning, on display. We had a great time walking around with the kids. Then we waited in a pretty substantial line to get on "the train". We had fun talking and taking turns walking around with the kids and taking pictures to pass the time. Then we boarded the little train, all 15 of us and as the train left the station the rain began to fall. But that didn't put a damper (get it? damp, damper......) on our train ride. We all sat there bundled up close to each other as we saw some pretty Christmas lights and little displays. My favorite was the miniature ski lift that was carrying Woody and Buzz and other stuffed friends. It was about a five minute ride, but totally worth it. There is something so magical about Christmas lights. I swear even my adult self gets giddy when I see them. It's like those little lights represent so much. I think every one had a great time and we may have a new family tradition on our hands :)

I think Oliver was pretty impressed with the trains

And I think Max was more excited about being on Grandpa's shoulders (Don't you love my dad's new jacket? He stole it from Elmer Fud I think)

Elle had fun dreaming about this fabulous doll house (which had a "furniture store" as the bottom floor)

This is one of two displays. It's hard to fully understand how detailed it was, the picture doesn't do it justice

Do you remember Mr. Rogers? This totally reminded me of the tiny neighborhood in the credits

Kinda thought the train coming through the wall was pretty cool

All 15 of us. I LOVE my family. Every. Single. One. They are so great!

All 6 of the kiddies!

Waiting in line

Snuggling in line

Just boarded the train

Ready for a fun ride. Oliver was on the verge of falling asleep once we sat down. He was a good sport staying awake in the cold and rain. What a good little boy! And can you believe we didn't get one picture of the lights? I blame it on the rain. No one wanted to get their phones wet.

Tomorrow? The Polar Express

No comments:

Post a Comment