Monday, December 31, 2012

'I dreamed a dream in time gone by.....

....when hope was high and life worth living." Never before have I been so touched by the words of that song. Anne Hathaway deserves an Oscar for her moving performance even if she was only in half of the movie. If you have yet to see the new Les Miserables movie you need to put that on your 2013 "to do" list. I had the opportunity to go with my family on our faux Christmas day. As soon as the show ended I was ready to sit down and watch it over again. I have already shared my obsession with the Les Mis here, so I won't bore you with it again. But, I will say that the movie definitely exceeded my expectations. I honestly wept through the entire thing, and I'm sure they won't mind me sharing that every single male in my family was also brought to tears at some point during the show. It was truly inspiring.

There are so many different lessons to be learned and experiences to be appreciated through this story. I had never before totally understood that all of Fantine's suffering, which seemed so incredibly real, was all for the sake of her child. A child that she didn't even get to be with. When she sang "I dreamed a dream" I actually understood her dislike for men and why she had given up on hope in a world that disgraced you before you even had the chance to explain yourself. I cried for Fontine and the how sad she was and that she didn't get to say goodbye to her daughter and I cried for the love and compassion that was shown to her by Jean Valjean. I got teary over Gavroche and his confidence and bravery in-spite of his lack of food and money. And when Jean Valjean realizes that he can start over, he can be forgiven of his wrong doings and make things right I was reminded that everyone has access to Christ's atonement. What an example the Bishop was to not only cover for Jean Valjean, but to also give him more silver and challenge him to become a better man. I felt for Eponine when she realized that no matter what she did she wasn't going to win Marius' heart (has not every girl experienced that at some point?). And at the end as Jean Valjean is dying after he did all that he could do to live an honest life and be a good person, he gets to meet his maker and enjoy salvation. WHAT A STORY!!!! And that is only the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment