Monday, December 10, 2012

Yard Sale

When Tim and I moved into my parents house we only had enough room in the closet for our "summer clothes" which technically we can wear all year round in Phoenix. Our "winter clothes" remained in suitcases in the shed in my parents backyard (and when I went to visit San Diego in August I had to unpack the suitcase to use it for the trip and then repack it when we got home, kinda a pain). Well, now that the weather is FINALLY cooling off I decided that it was time to figure out if there was any place to put our winter clothes. Why not Oliver's closet? Well......technically it's Logans closet. I'll tell you why. Because I think Logan is a boarder-line hoarder. I have no way of officially diagnosing it, but there was a lot of stuff in that closet. Stuff that hadn't been used in years. So, being the "helpful" person that I am. I offered to help him downsize, minimalize, and quite frankly make room for my clothes :)

Logan was such a good sport and in about three hours we had multiple bags of stuff. Some of it was for the trash, but most of it was yard sale worthy. And so I got it in my mind that a yard sale must happen. While helping my mom decorate for Christmas I rummaged through some of her cupboards for more unused and unwanted items and had some success. And then my dad found out that his backyard office (that is currently storing lots of stuff) needed to be cleared out because he'll be working from it starting in January and so I found even more treasures. Whitney went through her stuff too and between the two of us we had a pretty good spread.

Let me tell you, yard sales are pretty entertaining. It's true when they say one mans trash is another mans treasure. Granted most of the stuff there was wanted and used and loved at some point (except for maybe the unfortunate watermelon shaped teapot and matching mugs). I had so much fun selling off my mom and Logans (and some of mine and Tim's) unwanteds. And people are so happy to take your things off your hands for as cheap as you are willing to give them up. There are some pretty relentless hagglers out there, but I am proud to admit that I stood my ground pretty firmly on some items. We started set up around 6am and by noon we were done. It was a pretty successful morning and it was fun to feel like we were unloading excess and making money in the process.

Our signs were kinda pathetic. What can I say? I'm not much of a large letter writer.

We did the sale at Cody and Claire's house. It has better access than my parents. 


So now not only do I have a nice organized and clean closet for my sweaters, but I have a little extra Christmas cash.

2 comments:

  1. We found some treasures! William is digging in to his new geology book. He keeps saying what good condition its in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job! Sometimes I'm just too lazy and go donate everything. Way to take some action and get a little cash!

    ReplyDelete