Monday, December 3, 2012

Oh Dad

So my dad turned 56 last week. That's right, 56!!!!!!!!!!!!! The craziest part? I don't think he's aged much in the 27 years I've known him. Maybe he's a little crazier :), but he's looking pretty spry for a 56 year old and even weirder, he's in excellent shape. In fact just this last Friday he ran 14 miles like it was no big deal.

What can I say? My dad's one on my favorites! I started hiking with him when I was in high school. I'm not quite sure what my motives were. Possibly to try and impress him with the fact that I was physically able to wake up at 4:30 in the morning? Or that I could actually climb the mountain? And quite possibly because who doesn't want an entire hour three days a week alone with their dad to talk about anything?  We had some pretty great conversations. And that was the beginning of our great exercise quest together :) It's much more fun to exercise with a buddy than alone, and now that I have a child, it's so nice to have a buddy that will go super early in the morning before the day starts and gets crazy.

My dad's funny. He is the hardest working person I have EVER met and I have no idea where in the world he gets his energy from. He is so generous and is always willing to help someone in need. He is always up for an adventure and ready and waiting to try something new. Life is one big party to him and being positive is his mantra. My dad is one fantastic grandpa. The grandkids are obsessed with him, rightfully so. He plays with them and spends time on the floor crawling around with them and he lets them help him water the garden and make smoothies. He's pretty much the greatest!

Our first Marathon together, St. George 2006

My parents came to San Diego the same day I had Oliver, I can't even tell you how much that meant to me, that they dropped everything to come see their new grandson

Oliver's Bestie (I like to think that it's me, but I know "bopbop" wins)

That's my dad's head they're sitting on

This was all his idea

He is sooooo fun to surf with!

And to hike the Grand Canyon with

Not so much fun to dance with :) (8th grade graduation)

He was hands down the best "Father of the Bride"

I am soooooo grateful for that man. He has really had a huge influence on the person that I am today and he's a pretty Rad Dad. Happy Birthday Old Man, so glad I can still keep up with you....barely :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment