Thursday, January 3, 2013

I have my moments....don't we all

I had "a moment" the other night. One of those moments where I was a victim and lame. I was a lame victim. My life revolves around my husband and his career choice. It also revolves around my son who is a busy little bee and makes showering somewhat terrifying. I just want to go for a jog and then shower in peace and quiet for crying out loud!! And more than that, I want to be AMAZING! There, I said it. I want to be amazing at something. Sure I can do a little bit of this or a little bit of that, but there isn't this one thing that people say "Oh, Sydney is amazing at that, you should ask her about it." So between feeling like my life isn't my own and that I wasn't the amazing person I want to be I was down in the dumps. I cried to Tim about it (poor guy). And then I thought, "what am I going to do about it?"

Yesterday I read a quote that was quoted by President Gordon B. Hinckley. It's a fabulous quote and I had actually heard it before in this talk (which you need to listen to because he tells a story at the beginning where he laughs so hard he can hardly talk, so funny). I was so glad that I was reminded of it though. He quotes, "Anyone who imagines that bliss is normal is going to waste a lot of time running around shouting that he's been robbed. The fact is that most putts don't drop. Most beef is tough. Most children grow up to be just ordinary people. Most successful marriages require a high degree of mutual toleration. Most jobs are more often dull than otherwise. . . . Life is like an old-time rail journey—delays, sidetracks, smoke, dust, cinders, and jolts, interspersed only occasionally by beautiful vistas and thrilling bursts of speed. The trick is to thank the Lord for letting you have the ride."

So, what am I going to do about it? Enjoy the ride. Be grateful for the ride. Not waste time. And keep on trying. For almost five years I have been dying to "get good" at photography. And well, this is the year :) Unfortunately my most important subject has a hard time standing still so getting a sharp picture is hard, but like I said, it's a work in progress and photoshop is also on the get good at list :)



8 comments:

  1. You are good at running!!!! YOU inspired me to do something that now makes me so so happy, and I never thought I could do!!! Also, I fully support your journey to be great at photography. It is a fun hobby and I love it. Good luck! Sometimes I feel like I am not stupendous at anything either but then I think--hey I keep this kid alive and that counts for something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maren! Feel free to send and Photog tips my way :) And true statement about keeping that boy alive. Some days I think he's trying to kill us both! :)

      Delete
  2. I agree with Maren. you are so good at so many things and so many people want to be like you! This is why we need to live next to each other, though, because I totally understand. It's not always easy, but everytime I've gotten wrapped up in myself I try to think of someone else and I remind myself that I can choose to be happy. I usually just take the day to pout and then try to snap out of it the next day. haha. Will you post things you learn about photography on your blog? I'd love to learn along with you. I don't have a fancy camera, but my point and shoot skills need to improve. :) Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for relating Malerie! All I needed was a day, just like you said. And we will have to work on living next to each other for real!

      Delete
  3. SYDNEY! I will go ahead and make myself known as the president of the "I wish I was like Sydney" club! You rock, and I am pretty sure everyone thinks you're amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Erin, Thank you is all I can say! The feeling is mutual!

      Delete
  4. You're Redonkulous, because you're really great a many many things. I so much admire your ability to be so put together and organized all the time. And I also admire your dedication to fitness. You're always cheerful when I talk to you, EVEN, when you are worried about something or thinking about something serious. Those are all great gifts/talents. But I understand what you are saying. When our lives revolve around our husband and our kids it can feel sometimes like who we are is sort of hard to define. I highly recommend devoting a least a tiny bit of your week to focusing on things you want to do for just Sydney. If it's photography, awesome. Never forget to treat yourself as well as you do everyone else. You deserve it and it will make you a better wife and mother in the process anyway. Always have a sort of 5 year and 10 year plan for yourself as well. Because time flies by so fast and it's good if you can project into the future a little. Love you Syd.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE that picture of Oliver! Thank you for the quote - I needed it right about now. I've copied it and want to post it...everywhere! So glad you're my sister in law!!

    ReplyDelete