Tuesday, January 22, 2013

The Truth About Nights

Tim is working OB this month. This means that not only does he get to deliver sweet little brand new babies, but it also means he works nights.....just. nights. He typically leaves for work around 5:30 pm, comes home around 7:30 am, sleeps until about 3 pm and then Oliver and I have a very precious 1 1/2 with him before he's back at the hospital. It's actually pretty exhausting...for all of us. Oliver is never quite sure where his dad is hiding. Sleeping in the basement? At work? And I'm a little paranoid about making sure we're home right when Tim wakes up. The hospital is super nice and gives him Tuesday night off so he can go into "conference" (it's an ER learning meeting) on Wednesday morning from about 7 am - 2 pm. And they give him Wednesday night off too! How nice they are :) Then it's back to the world of baby's on Thursday.

Here's the thing about nights, they're not that bad at the beginning. I actually get kind of excited because when Oliver goes to bed, I can do WHATEVER I WANT!!! And I usually do. I can work on projects, catch up on what I didn't do earlier that day, or sit and watch three episodes of "Parenthood" on Netflix (which I did one night last week). So, for the first week, I kind of enjoy it. After that, I'm over it. I'm the one who wakes up with Oliver and puts him to bed and all the fun Oliver things in between. To be quite honest, I think Oliver is over me. Tim had become quite the celebrity, and for good reason, we all want to be around him and he's playing hard to get.

So, nights are good and they are bad. You can't have it all. Fortunately, every rotation is only 4 weeks so we don't have to be uncomfortable for too long. And we found ourselves a place to rent (I'll save details for another day), so I have lots of fun things to keep my mind busy.

This morning Oliver and I waited for Tim to come home from work. (kinda funny huh? most kids wait for their dads in the evening after school. for us it's in jammies before breakfast.) Oliver had fun waiting by the window and getting his handprints all over it, and when he saw Tim drive up you would have thought it was Christmas. I'm so glad I videoed it!!






1 comment:

  1. That video makes me so happy! "Hi, hi, hi, hi!!!!" And his cute little wave. I miss you all!

    ReplyDelete