Thursday, January 10, 2013

Trader Joe's

Before I moved to San Diego I knew of Trader Joe's but I'm not sure I'd ever been. I had a really good friend in middle school whose mom shopped their all the time, but my mom never went and I was pretty confused by the name....who's Joe and what is he trading? (I am slightly for reals with that). And then of course when I moved to San Diego it was all the buzz. EVERYONE shopped there. So I decided to try it out. And to be quite honest I didn't really know what they were shopping for. Trader Joe's has some pretty specific products and it's very simple and concise. In a totally random way it reminds me of In 'N Out. There's not too many options and pretty much one main brand, Trader Joe's. At any rate, it's taken me a while, but I have finally figured out my "must have" from Trader Joe's list. Because I am me there is no way I could do all of my grocery shopping there but I do love to stop by once or twice a month for the following items:



Their Steel Cut quicks oats are AMAZING!!! This is my favorite TJ's product by far. It's $2.49 a can and I eat it for breakfast multiple times a week and Oliver loves it too. In fact I think my whole family is hooked on it now. And the best part? They're quick oats so the cook really fast and still taste good.

The kettle Corn is super addicting and delish! Such a yummy snack and it's only $1.99 a bag.This is my moms favorite.

I know this isn't a TJ's product but they sell these bars and the chocolate almond coconut is just like eating a candy bar but way better for you and I LOVE it. These were my "treats" when I was nursing Oliver and eating ALL. THE. TIME.


The doctor I used to worked for had TJ's individual nut packs in the waiting room. They are delish and a perfect healthy grab and go snack. The one with the almonds, cashews and craisins are my favorite. These are a little more expensive but nuts tend to be that way :)

The Pizza dough is awesome and you can freeze it too. It's so much faster than making your own dough and it tastes sooooo good and it's only $1.29 per pack and each pack makes a pretty decent sized pizza. 

Tim's the one who really likes the hummus. I'll eat it if it's around, but he really likes it. It's pretty tasty, there are lots of flavor options and it's $1.99 a tub.


So, the big question is, what am I missing out on? I've shared my favs, now I want to know yours? I'm dying to try more of their stuff but would love to be led in the right direction so share away all you Trader Joe's die hards.

1 comment:

  1. Oh you better believe I'm all over this one (I shop 2 places every week:TJ's and the Farmer's Market). Here are some favorites:
    Edamame Hummus and Mediterranean hummus
    Lavash chips (for the hummus of course)
    Multigrain pita crackers
    Tuscan Italian salad dressing
    The fresh mozzarella balls for shredding on pizza
    Chocolate pretzel thins (but I never buy these because I eat the whole bag in 1 day-beware)
    Old-fashioned cinnamon grahams
    All the raw nuts-just as cheap as anywhere and good quality
    Salsa Autentica in the jar (shelf-stable)
    Organic whole wheat & corn tortillas
    Power to the greens salad mix (for some kale in your life)

    Ok I need to stop...I could go on, believe me. What I love best at TJ's is that they have NO GMO's. I'm not into that stuff, it grosses me out.

    ReplyDelete