Friday, May 25, 2012

A late start, but amazing! Murten and Avenches

We all slept last night...... even Oliver (hallelujah!), which means we woke up a little later (like 8:30) and got off to a later start. We were ok with that though because the sleep was much needed!! We spent most of our day about a 30min train ride from Bern in a town called Murten and stopped by a little town called Avenches. Tim and I were both so impressed with the all the history we experienced and how well it's been preserved.

Here are today's top 10:
1) Swans! I know they're not a total novelty, but aren't they beautiful?
2) Tim has randomly gotten souvenir turtles on two of our trips (Hawaii and St Thomas). I joked with him about getting one here. Today he bought a chocolate egg with a toy in it and guess what the toy was? You guessed it, a turtle!! Meant to be.
3) We took a boat ride around Lake Murten. The weather was perfect and the scenery gorgeous!
4) We went on Rick Steve's walking tour of Murten (which was so awesome).
5) We walked along the ramparts of Murten. I wasn't quite sure what ramparts were until today and I'm glad I figured it out. They are mentioned in our national anthem after all. The views from the ramparts were fantastic.
6) We saw a really old wall with cannon balls stuck in it as a reminder of a battle won, so cool.
7) We watched wind surfers while we were on the boat and agreed you had to be pretty tough to do it.
8) We stopped by Avenches, a cool old town that was once occupied by the Romans.
9) We walked around the largest Roman Ruin in Switzerland, an amphitheater. I've always wanted to go to Rome, so this was a good fix for me.
10) I love how old yet functioning, beautiful and charming it all is. There's nothing like it!

2 comments:

  1. That has got to be the coolest Kinder Egg coincidence ever. I totally remember those when Mike was on his mission. Such cool toys. Looks like a super fun trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete