Thursday, May 24, 2012

The Matterhorn is not just a ride at Disneyland

I think it was during college sometime that I learned that the Matterhorn was an actual mountain in Switzerland (please tell me I'm not the only one) and today I got to grace its presence. Tim and I took a beautiful two hour train ride (I don't think there is such thing as an ugly train ride here) to a small town on the edge of Switzerland called Zermatt. We took a cable car up to 12,530 ft. where we saw amazing views of the Matterhorn. It was a crystal clear day so the views were spectacular. We also walked around the Matterhorn Glacier Paradise where we saw pretty amazing ice sculptures and slid down an ice slide. We left Oliver with my fabulous Aunt Dru for the day.

Here are my top 10 for today:
1) I don't think I will ever be at a higher point in my life ;).........12,530ft to be exact.
2) The Matterhorn Glacier Paradise is amazing and cold and there are some pretty cool ice sculptures.
4) We went down an ice slide - pretty awesome.
5) I have the nicest husband, he let me put my about to fall off ice cold hands on his tummy and back to get feeling back in them.
6) I am so proud of myself for successfully riding up a cable car that was hovering over the sharp snowy alps (it was kind of terrifying)
7) I still love British accents and find comfort in the fact that we speak the same language and enjoyed taking pictures for a few of them today.
8) It is SO expensive here!!! It cost us $45.87 for a kinda pathetic salad and a pizza no drinks and we shared!!!!!!
9) I can't get enough of the clock and bell towers. They are so cool and the bells sound so pretty.
10) The Matterhorn is pretty impressive and totally worth seeing (on a clear day)

1 comment:

  1. Those are such cool pictures! I thought Switzerland was kind of a lame place to go on vacation, but I was definitely wrong- so neat to see those things!

    Where is Oliver? Did the Abominable Snowman get him? ;)

    ReplyDelete