My mother is a pretty avid reader and she passed that passion on to me. I always say though that I only enjoy reading when it's a good book. I know that should go without saying, but there are some pretty bad books out there.
Right after we moved to Phoenix my mom lent me a book, "When Crickets Cry" by Charles Martin. And it is AWESOME! I would highly recommend it. The main character is a heart transplant doctor. He talks a lot about his decision to become a doctor and what med school and residency were like, so I felt like I could relate in a small way and it is always fascinating to read the determination and dedication it takes to actually become a doctor (even if this was fiction). It was a nice reminder to me of how hard Tim has worked and is working. This is one of those books that teaches some pretty awesome facts about the human body and reaffirms to me that there is definitely a higher power out there that is a master architect and knew exactly what he was doing when he created us. The book takes place in the South which is also kind of fun, and definitely sparked a desire in me to visit the south and experience it's Southern charm. And because their book description is better than mine, here is Amazon's:
"A man with a painful past. A child with a doubtful future. And a shared journey toward healing for both their hearts... It begins on the shaded town square in a sleepy Southern town. A spirited seven-year-old has a brisk business at her lemonade stand. But the little girl’s pretty yellow dress can’t quite hide the ugly scar on her chest. The stranger understands more about it than he wants to admit. And the beat-up bread truck careening around the corner with its radio blaring is about to change the trajectory of both their lives. Before it’s over, they’ll both know there are painful reasons why crickets cry... and that miracles lurk around unexpected corners."
When Crickets Cry is an easy read and if you're looking for a good book, this is a good one :)

No comments:
Post a Comment