When it comes to Halloween I want so badly to have a cute inexpensive and creative costume for Oliver and Tim and I and I have zero desire to make it happen. I always tend to wait until the last minute and well.....see for yourself........
This was an all time low for us. We went to the dollar store right before the party and this is what we can up with, "super old" people. Dumb? I think so. That and I think we still ended up spending like $10 on everything.
Next low point. I was a cow girl and Tim was a Newsie. We made his vest out of an old T-shirt. The good news? We didn't spend a dime. We already had everything. The bad news? We just look like a really poorly dressed couple.
A little better. Ironically this was our first Halloween dating. Kudos to Tim for such an imaginative costume. I however had never seen the Labyrinth and had not idea who David Bowie was and was totally freaked out that Tim was wearing a woman's pants, jacket, and boots. I on the other hand went the way of Walmart and bought oversized sweats and t-shirt to be a gansta. Somewhat fitting because I was teaching the Thriller dance at our stake Halloween party and I needed to be able to move around and get sweaty.
So you can see where my concerns for halloween costumes comes from. For the past two years I haven't even made an attempt, but since I have a child, I feel the responsability to at least dress him up......this was last years cop out for him..........
So cute but it was a sleeper from Target.....pretty easy
Anyway, I am not much of a sewer and I don't want to spend money. So, here are the two ideas that I have seen on pinterest and I think I could do.
Doby!!! How cute is this? And then I thought Tim and I could be Ron and Hermione, but how do we do that without spending money on "robes" and "house scarves"? And do you think Oliver would keep this little hat on his head?
And this is so stinkin adorable!! I don't think he would wear the glasses, but maybe? And then I am at a complete blank for anything Tim and I could be to match this.
Maybe I should just dress Oliver and leave Tim and I out of this? I think because Oliver is my first I have this fear that whatever I do now is going to set the presedence for the rest of our young families life. Like lame costumes at the beginning equals always lame costumes. Let's hope not 'cause otherwise Oliver and the rest of our unborn children are in big Halloween trouble!



Super Old . . . hilarious.
ReplyDeleteI love the Doby costume.
I made a fantastic costume for Rachel when she was one. It was so fantastic, that all my kids had to wear it when they were one also. So now when we look our family pictures, my cool costume looks kind of overused and lame. You just can't win.
I hate Halloween and last year I made Easton's costume. It was a ton of work and the he wouldn't even wear it. So this year he gets a costume from Old Navy that was on clearance. The end. I have decided I am not dressing up because I hate it, and I don't feel bad! My advice: whatever you do make sure you are not so emotionally invested in whatever you make that you are actually angry if the kid won't wear it at all. Cause that might happen. But I do think both those ideas are super cute!
ReplyDeleteI agree with Maren. Don't get too emotionally involved, which I'm not very good at. I also gave up this year of having to have everyone coordinate. Also, I think I have to make the costume and it honestly ends up being just as expensive, or more than buying one. It's a pride thing, I think. :) Have you looked at costco? they have some adorable costumes for like $8. I like both of your ideas. Can't wait to see what he's going to be!
ReplyDeleteHow are you so photogenic even when you are dressed up?! Jake was a piece of sushi for his first halloween. haha. It was pretty funny but a pain to carry him around while he was wearing it.
ReplyDelete