Today Whitney and I got our hands "dirty" and started organizing her house. The main goal today was to tackle the pantry. I was so proud of Whit, she threw away two large garbage bags full of "stuff" including some expired canned food, old school papers of her kids and other things that sometimes get neglected or overlooked, like dried out play-doe and an old Jelly Belly dispenser. She also started a donation box for all the items that she has and doesn't use or want. It was really nice to take everything out and start from scratch.
We decided that instead of keeping all of her cleaning supplies in the pantry, we would move them to the laundry room. Whitney also started memory boxes for each of her kids so their art work will have a nice storage space. While today we made a lot of progress, we are not quite finished. We are still planning on getting some cute baskets and buckets for some items so that things look more neat and tidy. While my sister is in no way sloppy, it did feel really good to get things more organized and I think the end result will be fantastic!
 |
| Before Progress |
 |
| Before Progress |
 |
| Before Progress |
It's interesting, whenever I start organizing and going through things I start to realize that less really is more. There is something very attractive to me about being a minimalist. I feel like I am far from one, but the older I get the nicer it seems. Maybe that's because the older I get and the more kids I have the more stuff I acuire whether I want to or not! :)
I need to invite you to my house for a week or two!
ReplyDeleteI am the same way- I'd love to be minimalist, but with 4 kids, a husband that is a "keeper," and a house that can hold lots of stuff, I'm finding it more and more difficult.
Have you seen the pantry redo on The House of Smiths? They painted the back of the shelves, which made it look super cute. Makes me really want a walk-in pantry like Whitney's.
Rachel that is so funny, I just pulled the Smith's pantry up on my phone today on pinterest. We are headed of to target and ikea tomorrow to buy storage stuff. I think she may even be tempted to paint :)
DeleteNothing feels better than giving away or throwing away unused stuff that is just piling up. Ollie and I will come and help any time ;)