Slight panic started to set in, for both of us, when my mother arrived on the scene. She suggested I get the yard stick (who has a yard stick? my mother does) and we'd try and wedge it through the small crack and push the drawer shut. No luck.
At this point I'm starting to tear up. My life is exhausting (and I know that really I have it easy, but I needed a moment). I follow my one year old around all day and the one minute I let him wander alone he gets himself stuck in the bathroom, are you kidding me? So unfortunately I resorted to waking up Tim, who by the way is a very good sport, and he happily came upstairs to rescue his trapped child and emotional wife. And he did! He's the best! Hero of my life! Oliver was very happy to be unstuck and I was very happy to have him unstuck.
Needless to say, I let myself have a good cry after that. I'm exhausted (more emotionally than physically)! Being a mom is hard work and it is ever more constant than I could have ever imagined it. And it's so easy to feel like your not doing a good job. I feel like a task master every day following that poor child around, "don't touch that", "no, no ,no", "that's not for the baby",......... So I think, "we'll just stay busy all day and that will keep us out of trouble". For example, we take a walk in the morning and play with the hose and fail to take an morning nap and so we'll go to the children's museum and then eat lunch and play in the family room........and it's only 11a.m.? And then people go and tell me "enjoy it, they'll be grown and gone before you know it" Are you kidding? THIS HAS BEEN THE LONGEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!! And you want me to enjoy it? Now I feel guilty for not enjoying it, thank you.
Enough with the outburst, my point is sometimes I feel trapped in the bathroom! I know that no one wants me stuck in there and I am the one who put myself in there in the first place. But, it happens. I let myself get overwhelmed and rutted and instead of closing the drawer I close the door and make the situation even worse. But, the best part is that I know that there are always people (mostly Tim) on the other side of the door patiently trying to get me unstuck. And I know that when I finally get out it feels much better.
And even though not every day is the best day, it's still a blessed day because I get to be the mother of this little stinker! And as exhausting as he is, he brings so much meaning and purpose to my life and I couldn't imagine it without him. And he gives some pretty sweet hugs and kisses.
It gets better. I thought having one kid was extremely boring and the days were SO long. I'm not going to say it gets easier, but better, yes. I'm now feeling bad about telling you to learn to ignore you kid, because that's what got you in the bathroom mess in the first place!
ReplyDeleteSyd! I'm so sorry. And I hate it when people tell me to "just enjoy it" because you are right, some days you just don't enjoy it because it is super hard. I totally get it. And I am all about ignoring Easton as well, but he also gets himself into these "situations" when ignored and then I'm wishing I had been super vigilant. But the thing is, I realized I just cannot keep up super vigilant every moment of the day. So stuff happens. And whatever. But it took me until now to be ok with that so it is a process. For instance, 2 days ago Easton gave himself a black eye jumping off the couch and later shocked himself by playing with a lamp plug in the socket. I wish I were mother of the year but guess what? I'm never going to be! It's awesome!
ReplyDeleteTotally feel for ya, Syd. I'm pretty sure you probably read this article:
ReplyDeletehttp://www.huffingtonpost.com/glennon-melton/dont-carpe-diem_b_1206346.html
I remember thinking "that's JUST how I feel most days!" especially when she talks about the guilt that goes along with not feeling like you're enjoying every second of parenting. But I really like at the end how she points out how she has those few moments that really make parenting worth it. It's not all going to be great and happy all day long, but those little moments totally make it worth it.
And don't think for one minute that you're the first mom that has gotten their kid in a situation like this. :) I've had a few myself for sure.