Let me tell you about this hike. I've once heard it referred to as a mans hike, and as a woman I think that is a pretty good description. It is approximately 13 miles from start to finish and you do just about everything you can think of. Swim through water holes that are lined wall to wall with cliff sides and filled with freezing cold water. Hop over huge boulders and fallen trees. Walk through bushes and grass and other shrubbery that is waist high and obstructs your view of the ground which is covered in rocks; some loose, some sturdy, with water running in between them. You walk through water and on trails. Slide on moss and slick rocks. And fall, fall, fall! Lets just say that this hike doesn't make you feel like the most coordinated person and you have to pay attention the entire time. One misstep could be fatal :) We are still debating on what is harder, West Fork 13 miles or Rim to Rim of the Grand Canyon 24 miles. I'll let you know if we ever reach a conclusion.
So why does one do such a hike? Because it is oh so much fun! It's an excellent work out and quite an accomplishment. Even though you get all banged up and scrapped up, you feel like you beat the odds. That no matter how many bushes wrapped their branches around your legs to trip you, or how many rocks got together to swallow your foot in their cracks, you conquered. It's pretty exhilarating and so exhausting. And, it is BEAUTIFUL!!! I don't even think any of these pictures will do the views justice (Which by the way, we used an old point and shoot and I think it is so awesome that my iphone camera is so much better than the old point and shoot. So please excuse the poor photo quality). You'll just have to see it for yourself, I'll let you know next time we're going :)
The whole group at the top of the trail head
Look at those fresh faces. We have no idea whats about the hit us :)
The hike starts out in a dry riverbed
Logan photo bombin the pic. Notice the fallen trees, large rocks and moss
Making our way through the canyon and the obstacle course
A little perspective on how amazing this canyon is
Brother/Sister team work! Thanks for looking out Logan :)
I am so lucky I have such a great husband that likes to do these crazy things with me
We had a great time with this group
We didn't have to swim through this water hole, just walk chest deep in water with long grass and branches from the ground under water rubbing up against our legs, and yes the water is that dark, and yes it is super creepy!
Logan found a little friend
What we swam through, so beautiful and so hard (when was the last time you swam fully clothed with tennis shoes on?)
We're pretty hardcore :)
"Just keep swimming...."
The swimming was not as fun as Claire is making it look
when the canyon opened up, this is what we got to see
Large portions of the hike had mountains that had these awesome overhangs
Snack break
Walking through the water
I only bust out my spandex shorts for special occasions and this happens to be one of them. Be grateful there aren't more full body shots!
Do you see how green it is? There has been a lot of rain up there so everything was super green and super overgrown
Doesn't this look like a sidewalk that was made to look that way?
One of "those" shots (a little too close to my face w/out makeup on....sorry)
It was so beautiful and it was fun to take a minute to think of how creative God was when he created the earth and how blessed we are that we have the opportunity to enjoy all of his creations
The aftermath. The picture doesn't do my poor legs justice. They look pretty gnarly. I am wishing I had a longer skirt to wear to church tomorrow.
Where was Oliver during all this madness? My sweet mother watched him at the cabin. It is so nice to have such a wonderful mom who is willing to take my busy walking baby for 6 1/2 hours while I bang up my body. And I know Oliver had a fantastic time exploring the great outdoors with her. Thanks mom! Without you, it wouldn't have happened!!!
And a shout out to Tim for taking almost all of the photos. He really is a great person to have around when you want things well documented.












No comments:
Post a Comment